The Bahamas is made up of more than 700 islands, cays and inlets. Each island has dozens of beaches of diverse shapes, sizes, colors and vegetation. Whether it’s sparkling, deserted white sand with only your footprints, or lush, shaded beaches with curved views of the turquoise sea, or a beach that bounces to the Caribbean beat, these beaches will deliver.
WHERE ARE THE BEST BEACHES IN THE BAHAMAS LOCATED?
Everywhere! No matter where you are in the Bahamas, it’s a stone’s throw from breathtaking coastline. This list highlights the islands that feature some of the best beaches.
THE BEST BEACHES OF THE EXUMAS
Exuma offers the best of both worlds: luxurious resort beaches and secluded beaches that you can walk or paddle to.
– Three Sisters Beach is an expanse of white sand contrasted with blue-green waters and some dramatic rock formations called the “Three Sisters Rock”. It’s located in Mt. Thompson, about 12 miles north of George Town.
– Stocking Island is just a short ferry ride from George Town and it’s home to a number of well-known beaches. Many of these beaches are great places to socialize and meet interesting people. Chat N’ Chill is one of the more famous and frequented venues.
– Shroud Cay is a translucent beach juxtaposed against the lush mangroves. Legend has it that the wooden steps up to the lookout were built by a hermit who lived there alone for years. There’s a strange current around Camp Driftwood, creating a natural whirlpool that spins you right onto the powdery beach (but it’s not considered dangerous).
– Staniel Cay has two stunning beaches: Ho Tai Beach and Pirate’s Beach. Both are lined with sand dunes and sea oats with incredible colors. They also have excellent snorkeling reefs just offshore.
– Saddle Cay is a horseshoe-shaped curve near Exuma’s northern tip and can be reached only by boat. It’s worth the effort with its “Lost World” sensibility: you can play Robinson Crusoe as you explore the nearby islet!
THE BEST BEACHES OF ELEUTHERA
Eleuthera is a less-travelled island but has some rustic beach life and gorgeous landscapes.
– Lighthouse Beach has miles of unspoiled pink, sandy beaches, and it’s home to the old candy cane-colored lighthouse. This beach is located in South Eleuthera.
Surfer’s Beach has impressive waves and tends to attract Rastafarians and bleached surfer types. This beach is located two miles from Gregory Town.
– Ten Bay Beach is shaded by cool, leafy casuarina trees in the morning and baked in sun in the afternoon. It’s perfect for lazy days and reading on the beach. This beach is located nine miles south of Governor’s Harbor in Savannah Sound.
THE BEST BEACHES OF ABACOS
For incredibly long, white powder beaches, it has to be Abaco.
– Treasure Cay Beach is a 3.5-mile stretch of white, pristine sand and rich, turquoise water. It was voted one of the best 10 Caribbean beaches in a Caribbean Travel and Life reader’s poll.
Guana Cay Beach measures seven-miles in length and features incredible dunes with breathtaking views of the tropical Atlantic.
– Tahiti Beach has secluded opaque sands that arcs out into crystal water. It’s heavenly to swim in these waters and only accessible on foot, bike or by boat.
– Sandy Point Beach is full of amazingly shaped and impressively large seashells. It’s 40 miles south of Marsh Harbour.
THE BEST BEACHES OF ANDROS ISLAND
Andros Island is home to beautifully natural beaches in quaint settings.
– Love Hill Beach is dubbed “the Garden of Andros” because of the lush gardens and coconut trees that frame the white sands. It’s on the north-east edge of the island.
– Summer Set Beach gets its name from the millions of shells lining its shores that resemble the setting sun. It’s over a mile long and also features coconut trees fringed by lush casuarinas. It’s a romantic place to watch the sunset on the west coast.
OTHER ISLANDS AND BAHAMIAN BEACH HIGHLIGHTS
– Bimini is a small island crammed with impressive beaches. Tiki Hut Beach is two miles of white sand, backed by palms, sisal and blooming flowers. It’s just the beginning of the secret bays and beaches you can find here.
– Cat Island beaches are also out of the way and best reached by boat. For one of the best sunsets you’ll ever experience, tryFernandez Bay.
– Harbour Island is renowned for its many long champagne-colored beaches. It was recently featured as one of the best 10 beach destinations in the world by The Travel Channel’s “World’s Best Beaches” segment.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Grand Isle Resort & Spa and a clickable link back to this page.